Keerai pappu (paruppu) or keerai sambar – I do not Know what to call this recipe. Whenever I buy spinach , I invariably make kuttu with moong dal. This time, I added toor dal as well along with moong dal, and as always used direct pressure cooker method to prepare this dish. Here is the recipe for what I call as spinach pappu.
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Soaking Time : 30 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Serves : 3
Recipe Category: Rice Accompaniments/Side Dish
Toor dal – 1/2 cup
Moong dal – 1/4 cup
Spinach – 2 cup, chopped
Shallots – 10 (can even use finely chopped onion)
Garlic – 2 pods
Turmeric pwd – 1/8 tsp
Sambar powder – 1 tsp
Tamarind – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Salt – as needed
- Soak toor dal and moong dal in hot water for 30 min.
- Add oil to the pressure cooker. When the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let them crackle. Add onions and garlic, sauté till onions are cooked. Add spinach and continue sautéing for 1 minute.
- Add the soaked toor and moong dal, turmeric powder, coriander powder, tamrind and salt. combine well
- Add 2 cups of water and cook for 3 whistles.
- Serve with white rice or hot rotis
Instead of using tamarind you can also add tamarind pulp.