Kozhukkatai is a traditional south Indian delicacy prepared in both sweet and savory versions. There was a stage when my son started preferring foods which he can hold and eat. Paniyaram was my instant saver on many days. One day I prepared Savory pidi Kozhukattai for us and he liked.
Knowing the fact he loves sweets and to include banana into his diet, generally I prepare sweet pidi Kozhukattai with jaggery and banana.
Check out my other Kozhukattai recipes,
Rice Flour – 1 cup
Banana – 1 cup puree from two banana
Jaggery – 1/4 cup
Water – 1 cup
Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp
Salt – pinch
Oil/ Ghee – to grease
- Soak jaggery in luke warm water for 20 minutes (Time depends on the size of the cut jaggery). Strain to remove impurities
- In heavy bottomed pan add the jaggery syrup and cardamom powder and bring it boil. Add the banana puree and cook for 2 minutes
- Add rice flour and salt to the jaggery syrup – banana puree and mix well to avoid lumps. Cook til the dough separates from the pan and forms a mass
- Keep it aside till you can handle the dough. Cover it with a damp cloth
- Grease the hand with little water, take a small portion of Kozhukattai and make it into cylindrical shape
- Grease the idli mould with little oil. Steam kozhukattai in idli stand or pressure cooker for 8 to 10 minutes.
- I used store brought rice flour, instead homemade rice flour can also be used
- The water quantity depends on the rice flour so adjust accordingly
Tagged: carb, easy, fruit, how, i, kolukatta, kozhukattai, Make, Pidi, potassium, Recipe, rich, s, snack, tiffen, to
Hei semma idea!! A must try!!
Kozhukattai super .. hope your kid like it.. Should try it for my kid too. Thanks for the recipe Vidhya..
Super sweet kozhukkatai Vidya!! I am sure kutti payan would have loved it 😀
Yes Malar, he liked it:-) thanku pa
I think kids like hand held food so they don’t have to hold still long enough to use a utensil. 🙂 This sweet sounds delicious!
Never heard of this dessert before! It sure looks delicious 🙂
It’s amazing discovering how much you take care of your family trough the food…a good way to love, in a very feminne way!!!
So interesting.. Nice and filling recipe Vidhya
We also used to make kozhukkata… Traditional style with jaggery..coconut filling… Shall surely try this variation 🙂
I have tasted Kozhukattai with coconut:-)thanku Bilna
Will surely try ! My kinda stuff this is… Thank uuu!
Thanku Saritha:-) waiting to hear from u
Me too waiting to see more and more wonderful dishes from u. 🙂
Mmm so delicious and being banana it’s healthy too.
Oh yes healthy and tasty kozhukattai:-)
Wow looks delicious V. ..
Great recipe vidya.. as you mentioned its a great finger food for toddlers.. good one.
Hi, thanks for sharing this – I found it all so interesting and so new to me! 🙂
Glad you like it:-) thanku