Both my husband and I love pasta, and now a days even my little one started liking Mac & Cheese. Every time I open a pasta packet I wouldn’t finish it and have some leftover. To finish the remaining uncooked pasta, I end up buying same variety of pasta again. Other day I felt like having payasam and searched for semiya, suddenly pasta pulled my attention and tried payasam with pasta. It was a big hit at home.
Macaroni – 1/3 cup
Milk – 3 cups
Condensed milk – 3 tbsp
Sugar – 3 tbsp (adjust according to your sweetness)
Saffron – A pinch
Cardamom powder – pinch
Butter/ Ghee- 1 tsp
Salt – a pinch
- Add ghee and macaroni to the pan; saute for a minute. Add 3 cups of warm milk and cook till the macaroni are fork tender
- Add saffron, condensed milk, sugar, cardamom powder and salt, continue cooking for 4 – 6 minutes and switch off. Can serve immediately or chill this overnight and serve it next day.
- Adding condensed milk gives rich creamy texture adjust the sugar accordingly
- Payasam tends to thicken more when cool down
- Usually I add cashew and raisin for payasam but other day missed to add while taking picture so I didn’t write in my recipe!
- I have used whole wheat pasta instead maida pasta can also be done
- If you are using penne, rotini, fettuccine, bow or any other pasta, cut the cooked pasta with ladle according to your taste