Snack mania continues and today we have Mullai from SpiceIndiaOnline. Mullai and I become friends recently but in a short span of time, we have become close to each other. Though I am a Amateur blogger when compared with her blogging experience, she never treats me so. She is friendly and kind, shares her blogging techniques and things which worked for her. My India trip is fast approaching and time to prepare something for my hubby and freeze it when was thinking what to do, Mullai gave me a lot of interesting ideas. I have to check her blog for more recipes. During our calls one day I told about Guest post and she squeezed sometime between her busy schedule and gave this yummy snacks. Can someone say no to this beautiful crispy snacks??
Over to Mullai,
Writing a guest post is all new to me… one fine morning Vidya casually pinged to chat and from then on we became good friends. That fun chat still continues with never ending conversations until duty calls. Vidya Srinivasan, who i’ve known for a few months now is a very dedicated food blogger..runs this beautiful, very impressive blog called “traditionallymodernfood” with wonderful collection of both traditional & modern recipes. She mostly shares simple recipes with easy instructions and keeps it interesting & neat. She is one sweet person with humble attitude and when she asked me to write a guest post on toddler friendly food I couldn’t say no.
While googling for a good one, I ran into YummytummyArthi’s space which had this fun recipe called Potato smiley faces which caught my eyes, which made me feel like a kid in the candy store! Well this recipe is inspired from that with few alterations to suit my taste. Though not that healthy, it will for sure impress your kids and I can assure that it will definitely bring a smile on their face. Try it out!
Medium size Potatoes 3
Corn flour 5- 6 tablespoons
Salt 3/4 teaspoon
Black pepper 1/2 teaspoon
Oil 2 cups (for deep frying)
- Boil potatoes and keep aside. Let them cool completely. Finely grate them or mash like how you would do for mashed potatoes
- This mixture will be very sticky, add salt, black pepper powder and just half of the corn flour and make a stiff dough. Add more corn flour until the dough looks firm.
- Cover and refrigerate for atleast an hour. By now the potato dough would have turn stiff.Dust corn flour on a board and roll out the dough flat for about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter cut them out into small circular discs. Using big hole straw punch the discs as shown for the eyes. Then using a spoon press to shape the mouth.
- Heat oil and deep fry the smileys… they just dance around in the hot oil, bubbles of oil oozing out from their eyes and mouth will look as if they are talking to you. Once they turn golden brown on both sides, remove and drain excess oil by placing them on a paper towel. Serve hot with ketchup!
- This recipe will yield about 15 smileys, make them ahead of time, dust with corn flour and refrigerate. Make it in the morning and refrigerate and fry when the kids long for an evening snack. Oh…there’s already a naughty one licking up the ketchup!