I love green gravies because of the vibrant color. Usually I prefer either finely chopped onions/ ground onion in my gravies, but for a change this time I thinely sliced onion and added little chat masala to the Aloo palak (Am I crazy????) But believe me the gravy was super duper hit in home. Jagadish kept asking me what did I add extra this time. When a little change can make hubby think its a happy smiley 🙂
Checkout my other recipes with Spinach and potato
Microwave Potato Chips
Spinach Potato Gravy
Preparation Time : 5 min | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Serves : 3
Recipe Category: Side dish
Spinach – 2 cups
Potato – 2, big
Onion – 1, thinely sliced
Green Chilli – 1 ( Adjust according to your spice level)
Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
Chat masala – 1/4 tsp
Sugar – generous pinch
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Salt -as needed
- Pressure cook potatoes until tender (for about 2 whistles or microwave the potatoes for 10 minutes). Peel off the skin and cut into bite-sized pieces and keep aside
- Rinse the spinach well in water. Boil water with pinch of sugar and salt. Add the spinach to the boiling water. Cook and switch off the flame, after 3-5 mins drain and quickly pour cold water over the spinach. Transfer them into a blender and make fine paste, with green chilli
- Add oil to the pan, when oil becomes hot add cumin seeds and it splutters. Add onion and ginger garlic paste and saute till the onions are translucent
- Add the cooked potatoes and saute for a minute. Add turmeric powder, garam masala, chat masala, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt; gently mix everything cook till the potatoes are well coated with masala
- Add spinach puree and cook for 3 – 4 minutes
- Serve hot with Naan/paratha/Vegetable rice
- Add water if you think the gravy is too thick
- Sugar helps to retain the green color in spinach
- To make rich Can add milk/fresh cream/coconut milk to the gravy
- Whole spices (bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom etc) can be added
- Butter can be added for flavour
- Tomatoes can be added while cooking onion
- As chat masala already contains salt adjust the salt accordingly
Tagged: Bread, chappati, easy, flat, Gravy, how, i, Indian, keerai, kilangu, Make, North, Potato, prepare, Quick, Recipe, s, sub, to, twist, urula, variety, z
[…] Aloo Palak […]
oh! I’ve never tried it! Looks yummy!
I love the color of this too! Wow. This looks so delicious and all of those spices make it so healthy and flavorful. Beautiful.
It’s sei so Healthy !!!thanks
yeah.little change in our recipes would bring a great flavour.Delicious aloo palak vidhya
Looks yummy! That green is screaming…’eat me’!
Haha:-) ya I agree palak gravy do that magic
Great dish.. pa this dish didn’t show up in my reader.. saw it in fb group.. dunno why
Thanks Sri:-) Apdiya theriyala ma
My all time favorite. I make it almost once every week 🙂
🙂 that’s nice
Yummy gravy!! Well explained 🙂
Love this… looks toothsome V…. 🙂
Aloo palak looks delicious Vidya.
hmmmm…tempting rich gravy and dish ..
Looks awesome Vidya!!! I always love the color of spinach…Great dish with roti 🙂
Thank you for the quality recipe here!