Thogayal is one of the quick Rice Accompaniments. Rice, thogayal and sesame oil taste heavenly. Even if you don’t find time to cook side dish, sutta Appalam goes well with Thogayal. There are a variety of thogayal options available, but mild sweetness in Onion thogayal is some thing I love. It goes well this Milagu Kuzhambu
Preparation time : 5 minutes | Cooking time : 10 minutes
Onion – 3, big roughly chopped
Urad dal – 1/3 cup
Red chillies – 4 (Adjust according to your taste)
Tamarind – small piece or 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
Coconut – 1/4 cup
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Salt – as needed
Coconut oil – 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/8 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
• Add little oil to pan and cook urad dal and red chilli till urad dal is golden brown. Keep aside
• Add onion and remaining oil to the same pan and cook till they are translucent. Add coconut and saute for a minute and switch off. Transfer it to plate containing urad dal and red chilli
• Allow this to cool and grind this along with tamarind and salt into a smooth paste. If required sprinkle little water
• In a pan add oil and items under “to temper” and let them splutter. Add it to the thogayal
- Shallots can be added instead of big onion
- Add more water to make it chutney of your desired consistency
Tagged: andhra, bachelor, chutney, dish, dosa, easy, for, Idli, Indian, Quick, Recipe, s, side, south
[…] Vengaya Thogayal […]
I am not sure if you will post again within Christmas but I wanted to thank you for your always interesting receipts , wishing a Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas and happy new year:-)
Easy & delicious thogayal………….love to have it with idli or appam.
Issues not know much about cooking south Indian food and I’m learning a lot from your blog. Thanks 🙂
Oops! Sorry typo above meant to read “I don’t know much about” not “issues”.
Its ok i understood:-)
Glad you like my space:-)
It seems to be a combination of uddina chatney and onion chatney we prepare in Dakshina Kannada… Wow! I’m going to try this 🙂 Thank you Vidya… TC! Keep smiling 🙂
A quick and tasty thogayal…Yummy!!!
looks like great comfort food!
looks super yummy!
Looks delicious …..
Lovely.. My fav dish.
Wow I love onion chutney- flavorsome dip…. 🙂
Comfort food.. anything with sutta appalam is heavenly