Kesari is one of the common sweets prepared at home. Having a sweet tooth, sis and I ask Amma to frequently prepare kesari with any snack like bhajji, pakoda , Bonda etc. My mom used to tease us asking “Entha Mapalai varar ungala parka ;-)” In our culture, there was a trend when bride and groom meet for first time, kesari is served. Kesari is usually prepared with water, but replacing water with milk gives a good taste.
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves : 3
Recipe Category: Sweet
Rava (Sooji)/Semolina – 3/4 cup
Brown Sugar – 1 cup + 1/4 cup (Adjust according to your taste)
Milk – 2 cup + 1/4 cup
Butter / Ghee – 4 tbsp
Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp
Nuts and raisin – to garnish (I used cashew and almonds)
Food color – 1/8 tsp
- Add 1 tbsp of ghee and roast nuts and raisins till they are golden brown, and set aside
- In the same pan dry roast the rava for 2 minutes (Roast them till aroma comes) and transfer it to a plate.
- In medium flame add milk to the same pan and when milk starts boiling add the rava and stir continously to avoid lumps
- Continue cooking till its cooked. Check whether Rava is cooked before adding sugar
- Add sugar, and cook till sugar melts completely and Kesari thickens. stir it occassionally
- Add butter and food color, continue cooking till food color dissolves and mixs completely
- Turn off when kesari separates from the pan. Add nuts and raisins, and serve the Kesari hot/cold. Kesari thickens with time so switch it off accordingly
- Instead of adding food color at the end can also add them while boiling milk. I have used orange food color instead yellow, green or any other food color can be used
- I have used brown sugar instead white sugar can also be used
- Can add almond/vanilla/pineapple extract or any other essence for taste. Saffron can also be added
- Pachai karpuram can also be added for flavour
Tagged: how, Make, milk, Navaratri, Recipe, s, simple paal, to, using, with
I was wondering what Rava is but then I saw sooji or semolina, which are the names I’m familiar with. I think I want to try this. It’s quite simple to make. I shall give you a feedback!
Do try and let me know Liz:-)
yum yum yum …. heyyyyyyyyyyyyy how you doing
Thanku:-) I am fine thanks for your concern
Lovely pictures and recipe, Vidya! I am already drooling over your Paal Kesari. Should try this one very soon! Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂
What lovely presentation! It looks so chic & delish.
Is anyone there? ?
Hi Marta, thanks for stopping by and pinging:-) everything is fine at my side
I love Indian sweets and desserts. Always a pleasure to eat and healthy too!
This looks so delicious.. Love the orange hue.. 🙂
What a lovely blog you have!
I have someone who loves this…so i am inspired to make it by just looking at your pics. Adding milk is a new twist!
Rich and divine kesari……..lovely!
This looks yummy. Beautiful color. 🙂
Kesari with puri! Yummy Vidya 🙂
Looks delicious Paal kesari love it.
Wow adding milk instead of water,sounds good,going to try
Very inviting n droolworthy paal kesari, feel like inviting myself to ur place.
This looks so delicious!
Wow! It looks very cheerful! Orange is such a lively colour!
TC! Keep smiling 🙂
It looks truly delicious and probably it would make a great start of the day. Is it like a sort of pudding? I’m so weak when comes to sweet foods, I just can’t resist 🙂 but you know my sister says, true we could live without sweets, but what kind of life would that be 😀
Thanku Marta:-) I agree even I can’t imagine life without sweets..oh ya its a semolina puddinf
Yum Yum..!! Last pic is looking like Phirni.. Mouth watering..!
This sounds wonderful!
Never tried with milk always water, gonna try it soon!! Looks so rich dear 🙂 Yum!!!
Thanku dear:-) sure do try Malar
My grandmom used to make this for me. Oh! You made me nostalgic 🙂
Thanku Skd:-) grandma recipes are always best
Delicious. .my kutty love it 🙂
Lovely! I will prepare this soon. I have only white sugar though 😦
Thanks Shalz:-) you can prepare it with white sugar as well infact traditionally its prepared with white sugar
wow! I’ve never tried anything like this! i totally love the color! Sounds delicious to me!
Wow scrumptious and elegant kesari…. love it…
yum.. Love the texture 🙂
so pretty! And looks healthy, too 🙂 I’d eat it for breakfast!
A bowl of kesari would ‘hit the spot right now’. Thanks for making me drool 🙂
Glad you liked it:-) agree its so addictive
Sounds lovely I like the mixture of nuts and raisens thanks for sharing
Thanku:-) nuts gave nice texture and taste to the dish
Yummy Semolina treat! Can I use coconut sugar instead of Brown sugar?
Yes Ema you use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar:-)
Actually, I love the coconut flavor. Happy Cooking 🙂
Beautiful recipe, love the orange color!