As I had mentioned in Pesto Pasta, White sauce pasta is my all time favorite. Whenever we go to Italian restaurant, we will usually order White sauce pasta. First time I had white sauce pasta in a restaurant called “Little Italy” in India. I was so addicted to this Creamy pasta. One of my friends told me the recipe for white sauce. After hearing that, I was surprised that 3 ingredients – butter, all purpose flour and milk making that wonder. Here is my version of white sauce pasta.
White Sauce Vegetable Pasta
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 40 mins | Serves : 3
Recipe Category: Entree
Rotini Pasta – 1 box (340 grams) I used 100 % Whole wheat pasta
Zucchini – 1
broccoli – 1
Black Olives – 1/4 cup pitted
Bell pepper – 1 , thinly sliced
Spring Onion – 4 strings
Garlic – 2 pods, peeled and minced
Olive oil – 1 tbsp
Grated mozzarella and cheddar – 1/4 cup (Parmesan is preferred, but we don’t eat that)
Butter – 2 tbsp
All purpose flour – 2 tbsp
Milk – 2 cup + 1/2 cup
Heavy Cream – 2 tbsp (optional)
Garlic powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Salt – as needed
Italian seasoning/ oregeno- 1 tsp (I used Italian seasoning)
Ground black pepper – as needed (According to your spice level)
Water – as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit
- In a large Saucepan, add water and salt, and let the water come to a boil while you prepare other ingredients
- Place Zucchini, bell pepper and broccoli in a oven tray, cook it for 10 – 15 minutes
- As soon as the water comes to a boil, add the pasta, stir and reduce heat to medium. Cook pasta as per the instruction given on the package and drain the water
- Add olive oil and butter in a frying pan. When it is hot, add the minced garlic, and saute for one minute. Then add spring onion and saute. Add all purpose flour and after a quick stir, add milk and whisk well to avoid lumps
- When it thickens after 2-3 minutes, add cooked zucchini, bell pepper and broccoli and gently stir to combine. Add Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce and gently mix together and add heavy cream. Add grated cheese and switch off. Serve hot
- Instead of preparing white sauce at home, you can also buy it from store
- Instead of baking vegetable you can also sauté them directly
- Add any veggies of your choice. Eggplant, peas, corn, spinach, cabbage etc can also be added
- I have used Rotini instead penne or any variety of pasta can be used
- Instead of spring onion regular onion can also be used
- If you think the pasta is dry, add 2 tbsp of milk/heavy cream while serving
Tagged: and, capsicum, easy, Friendly, how to make, in, italian, kids, Pasta, Quick, Recipe, s, sauce, vaiety, veg, vegetable, veggie, white, with
[…] moving abroad, I started eating Zucchini. Usually I add it in dishes like pasta, panang curry etc. One lazy day I wanted to do some quick rice accompaniment and when I was […]
I made it & loved it! It was the max!
Thanks for trying Sophie:-) Glad you liked it
Oh yes, white sauces are my favorite!
Patty, Wow good to hear that you too like White Sauce:-)
Healthy combo and looks so yum!
Why buy white sauce at the store when I can just try making your recipe. I bet it is lots tastier. 🙂
Thanks Irene:-) Homemade is always best right
I love white sauce. It’s always such a pleasure to eat pasta with white sauce and addition of veggies makes it healthy too!
Thanks Liz:-)ya totally agree
I like creamy white sauces on pasta too! This looks great and I love that you added lots of veggies :).
Thanks Hannah:-)crunch veggies with creamy sauce was yummy
Yum! This sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe!
What a great spin on a classic base!
The white sauce and vegetables makes a delicious pasta dish. Looks delicious.
Yes Suzanne:-) creamy white sauce makes the pasta yummy
Yes Suzanne, creamy sauce makes the pasta yummy:-)thanks!!
delicious sauce with pasta, adding veggies makes it more delectable.
Gosh!! Vidya this is so amazing.. Looks so delicious.. love the addition of summer veggies.. 🙂
Thanks Arpita:-) crunch of veggies add beauty to the dish
Yum….I love everything in white sauce…reminds me of my childhood…
You must try this, I am sure you will like it:-)
I love white sauce! Yummy Vidya!
Wow Lori good to hear White sauce is your favorite as well:-)
Looks very tasty Vidya 🙂
Thanks Natasha:-) tasted yummy too
Wow, I’ve never had white sauce. But this looks delicious!
Try this, I am sure you wil like it:-)
now that we dont get much of the ingredients in vizag, i prefer eating pasta at restaurants..
I understand:-) try with our Indian veggies and looking forward to hear a fusion recipe from you
This is one of my family favourite tooooo vidya as you mentioned it’s a coincidence both of us posted pasta same time. …..g8 looks yum…..
Thanks:-)Yes Chitra,I was thinking the same
Haven’t had white sauce in a while. Going to find a vegan version 🙂
While drafting I was thinking about you Charan, I am sure I can expect a vegan version soon:-)
White sauce is my favorite too rather than red sauce in pasta!!
Aiswarya, we two are sailing in same boat:-) when it comes to pasta even I prefer white sauce more
My favourite too. Looks delicious!!
Thanks Nish:-)wow lot of white sauce sauce lovers
One of my favourites!
Aruna, I am Glad to know many white sauce lovers here:-)
Looks good Vidya….
[…] it comes to pasta, White sauce pasta is my all time favorite. When we where in UK, one of Hubby’s colleague frequently brings […]