I had never tried Bhindi Masala at home, but whenever I go to Indian restaurants, I mostly see Bhindi Masala in the buffet menu. Hubby likes Okra very much, so thought of trying this at home. I actually liked this version of Bhindi Masala and started preparing this frequently as a side dish for chappati
Preparation Time : 10 min | Cooking Time : 30 mins | Serves : 3
Recipe Category: Side dish
Okra – 250 grams
Onion – 1 big, finely chopped
Tomato – 2
Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
Garam Masala powder- 1 tsp
Pav bhaji powder/Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
Curd / yogurt – 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
Coriander leaves – as needed to garnish
Cinnamon Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – as needed
Oil – 2 tsp
- Add 1 tsp of oil, spread the oil all through the pan and sauté the okra till they become slightly crispy
- Add 1 tsp of oil to another pan. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for 30 seconds. Add onions and saute till onions are cooked, and add tomato after the onions are cooked.
- Add garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder, pav bhaji masala, turmeric powder and allow it to cook for 2-3mins
- Add the sautéed okra and salt, cook for 5 minutes. Add curd and mix well, and cook for 3-4 minutes
- If you need Bhindi masala as a gravy, add the required amount of water.
- To get crispy okra, wipe the okra dry before cooking. If you do not have time to wipe it dry, keeping it in the microwave for a minute would help.
Tagged: bachelor, bhindi, bhindi subzi for rotis, Cuisine, curry, do pyaza, dry, fry, Gluten Free, gluten free recipes, Indian, kids, Masala, North, north indian recipes using bhindi, north indian side dish recipes for rotis, punjabi, punjabi bhindi masala, punjabi side dishes for rotis or phulkas, Recipe, Regional, s, side dish recipes for chapathis or rotis, Vegan, Vegan Recipes, vegetable, vendakkai recipes