Kozhukattai is a traditional recipe prepared with broken rice. Adding a healthy twist, I have tried it with cracked wheat and oats. Rich in fibre, this is a good breakfast option.
Cracked wheat & Oats kozhukattai:
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Standing time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Serves : 4
Recipe Category: Breakfast
Broken Wheat/Bulgur – 1 cup
Oats – 1 cup
Scraped Coconut – ¼ cup
Salt – as needed
Water – 4 cups
Coconut oil or Any refined oil – 1 tsp (I used coconut oil)
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli – 3
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Channa Dal – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Dry roast the broken wheat and oats till a nice aroma comes. Put it in a blender and blend it coarsely. Transfer to a plate.
- Add oil to the pan. After the oil is hot, temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, red chilli and asafoetida. After it splutters, add 4 cups of water, coconut and salt to taste. Bring to boil. Once the water starts boiling add the broken wheat and oats, mix well.
- Stir till all the moisture evaporates and broken wheat and oats are half cooked. Sprinkle some water if required. Switch off the heat
- Take water in a small bowl and use it while forming kozhukattai. Form kozhukattai when the half cooked wheat and oats are not too hot to handle. Let it not cool too much, at the same time. if required grease your hand in water to form Kozhukattai
- I have used Cracked wheat, which is slightly larger than the regular broken wheat. If you are using smaller broken wheat, reduce water quantity accordingly
- If you are using regular broken wheat, no need to blend
Check my other Cracked wheat recipes,
Tagged: Breakfast recipes, Broken Wheat, cracked wheat, diabetics, healthy, healthy breakfast recipes, healthy recipes, Indian recipes, kozhukattai, kozhukattai recipe, oats, oats breakfast, Recipe, savory recipes, savoury oats recipes, SOUTH INDIAN DELICACIES