Tres Leches cake – Divine is the word. One of the best cakes I ever had. Thanks to my co- sis for introducing me to such a delicious cake. Tres Leches is a Mexican cake with three milks (condensed milk, evaporated milk and heavy cream). Well, this was told by my co – sis. We visited their home, and she ordered this cake for us from Safeway. That night hubby and I skipped dinner and had this cake instead 😉 After our vacation, I searched for this recipe in many blogs and altered the recipe to suit our tastes. Baked this cake for Hubby’s birthday.
Tres Leches Cake:
Preparation Time : 45 mins | Cooking Time : 1 hour | Serves : 10
Recipe Category: Dessert
All-purpose Flour – 1 cup
Baking Powder – 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Eggs – 5 whole
Sugar – 1 cup
Vanilla- 1 tsp
Milk – 1/3 cup
Evaporated Milk – 1 can
Sweetened, Condensed Milk – 1 can
Heavy Cream – 1/4 cup
FOR THE ICING:
Heavy Cream, For Whipping – 1 pint
Sugar – 3 Tablespoons
- Add all purpose flour, baking powder and salt to a mixing bowl and whisk well
- Separate 5 eggs – put all the Yolk in one bowl and whites in the other
- Add 1/2 cup sugar to the yolk and beat well with electric mixer, in high speed. Beat till it becomes pale yellow and approx. doubled in quantity. It took 4-5 min for me. Add milk and vanilla extract to the pale yellow mixture
- Gently add the flour to this mixture. Set the electric mixer in low speed and whisk well
- In a separate bowl, beat the whites in high speed till they become like a soft foam. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and keep it aside
- Gently mix this to flour yolk batter with the mixer in lowest setting
- Pour the batter to the greased cake pan and bake it at 350 f for 30-35 min, till the cake is baked (a toothpick inserted inside should come out clean). Let it cool
- Add condensed milk, evaporated Milk and heavy cream in a jar and whisk well.
- After the cake is cooled completely, poke it gently using fork all over and pour the milk mixture gently everywhere including the sides in batches (say about 1/4 cup at a time, let it absorb well and then add another 1/4 cup)
- Cover it with cling wrap and set aside to absorb. I kept it overnight.
- Frosting – Nextday add heavy whipping cream to a bowl. Whisk well with the electric mixer in high speed till the cream becomes soft. Continuously mix for speeding up the process. Add sugar and mix well
- Apply the frosting all over the cake and delicious tres leches cake is ready to taste. I topped it with some fresh strawberries
We refrigerated the cake and had it the next day. Tasted yum!